Electric Shovel - Operation & Safety
The electric shovel is a key component of overall mine productivity. Running any brand of electric shovel safely and productively takes a skilled operator who understands the shovel and has had lots of coaching and hands-on training.
Start your operators out right with a solid understanding of the components, design and capabilities of the equipment. Help them understand the limitations and challenges before they start operating in a simulator or a real shovel.Without that understanding, an operator could run into trouble - usually expensive downtime.
This program covers three main topics in detail.
First, it helps new operators get to know the electric shovel.
Second, it covers systems, components and controls.
And, third it explains various operating and loading techniques.
Working with others is key too. The productive shovel operator works with haul truck and dozer operators to keep the shovel pit floor clean and productive as well as safe. This is one of our largest programs and will take approximately three to four hours to complete.
- Learners are given an overview of the electric shovel including its role in mine productivity, the importance of the dig cycle, swing radius, electrocution hazards and general safety topics.
- Another lesson covers sections, systems and components of the shovel.
- Outline of the controls of the machine and their function, and describes typical working conditions.
- Shift change, claiming the machine and a detailed pre-use inspection are covered next.
- Digging depth of cut, hoisting force, over extending the dipper and boom jacking.
- Efficient shovel operation, loading methods, optimum truck loading positioning, swing arc, proper load placement and communicating with the haul truck operator.
- Cable movement and hazards, moving the shovel, parking and shut down.
Trainers: Before you begin classroom or field training, why not provide your trainees with a solid foundation of knowledge about the equipment and how to operate it safety? This web-based training course can be delivered any time, anywhere you have access to a high-speed internet connection.
Recommended Prerequisite(s): Heavy Equipment - Intro & Safety, Heavy Equipment - Pre-Use Inspection
Estimated length of training program: 1.5 hour + final test
Number of test Questions: 39
Printable Certificate of Completion: Yes, with person's name, date and test score
Incorrect Question Feedback report: Yes
Immediate online delivery for one person - viewable for up to 60 days
This program is available for individual purchase OR as part of a library. (View Library Pricing)
If you have any questions about this Silver Series training program, please contact us at 800-942-2886 or 262-514-2886 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SIGN UP TODAY for the VISTA e-newsletter
Safety tips and product updates - delivered to your inbox
Stay up-to-date on the latest developments from VISTA Training with our convenient e-newsletter. Be the first to learn about:
- New products and services
- Equipment safety and productivity tips
- Upcoming sales promotions
- Customer success stories
- And much more!
NEW LIBRARY PRICING
for Silver Series modules
An annual or monthly license fee provides unlimited access to all programs in a selected library - for all your employees
- Heavy Equipment
- Heavy Equipment - Mining
- Support Equipment
- Lifting & Rigging
- Pipelayer Installation
- VISTA Video Training Library
Silver Series Benefits
- Conduct operator training - 24/7
- Convenient delivery via web browser
- Pay by credit card or PayPal and access the program immediately
- Programs average 1-2 hours in length
- "Check your knowledge" questions for improved knowledge retention
- Integrated test to verify learning
- A printable, customized certificate of completion for your records